[Coral-List] Of Artificial Reefs, Corporate Bodies & Reef

Eric Borneman eborneman at uh.edu
Fri Sep 18 13:48:52 EDT 2009

Hello Bart, Todd and list:

I find myself responding to this because of the number of "artificial
reefs" and "restoration" projects that are being proposed in Southeast
Asia and noting Bart's location in Malaysia. I was asked repeatedly
about this at the WOC/CTI in Manado earlier this year, and it seems as
though many such projects are being proposed or initiated without
always having good information. It became clear that many such project
managers or parties interested in putting in artificial reef
structure, notably Reef Balls and Reef-Ball like projects, get the
impression that simply by putting out structure that they will be able
to have coral reefs grow right offshore. They do not always seem to
recognize that the conditions of the site are inappropriate for coral
growth or that environmental conditions that caused the local decline/
degradation have not been mitigated, but that somehow, magically, by
throwing out some concrete that coral reefs will start to grow on it
and not on nearby degraded reef substrate.

This became most apparent to me at Racha Island, Thailand, where a
Reef Ball project was done. The resort seemed very proud of their
effort and promoted it as a tourist dive/snorkel site, and yet very
healthy reefs with large corals and high recruitment were literally
10-30m from the Reef Balls. The Reef Balls themselves were nearly
devoid of any coral settlement, despite the high recruitment on the
coastal cliff adjacent to it. Many of the balls were almost completely
buried, shattered and broken, and were not providing fish habitat to
any degree compared to the real reef just meters away.

I have photos here of the natural recruitment in the bay where the
project is:
  http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm288/EricHugo/Rachacoralrecruitment.jpg

Here of the reef literally 10m from one of the Reef Ball arrays and
one of fish associating with live Porites:
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm288/EricHugo/RachaPoritesnearreefballs.jpg
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm288/EricHugo/Racha-reef-scene-2.jpg

And here of some of the Reef Balls:
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm288/EricHugo/Rachareefball3.jpg
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm288/EricHugo/Rachareefballs2.jpg
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm288/EricHugo/Rachareefballs1.jpg

This is not a general negative position I hold regarding the many
iterations of restoration, or toward Reef Balls in general, and I
don't even want to enter the corporate argument, but it seems that the
enthusiasm for such projects might in many cases outweigh the actual
functional need or benefit, and I would hate to see countries pouring
limited resources into expensive projects that may not be the best use
of money or labor and, in some cases, could actually be deleterious to
the surrounding habitat. A company can make an apparently easy sell of
an artificial reefs that many are jumping towards as a "solution,"
when in fact conservation or restoration of original habitat may be
more appropriate.

Eric Borneman
Dept. of Biology and Biochemistry
University of Houston