[Coral-List] Gulf eco-conspiracy

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 12 16:13:02 EDT 2010

It is confounding to me that the same voices that only a few months ago
were criticizing those who raised doubts about the accuracy of BP's initial
estimates of the volume of the oil blowout are now reappearing to further
defend those responsible for the Deepwater Horizon disaster.
Let us not forget that these same individuals scoffed at the idea that this
spill would even approach the magnitude of the Exxon Valdez and continuously
quoted BP’s projected flow rate of 5,000 barrels a day.

There is no question that the media is often times over zealous, but don’t
shift the blame and claim that 90% of the problem was do to the media frenzy.
Would BP have been forthcoming without the pressure or would they have adhered
to their claims that the flow rate was simply too difficult to accurately determine?

How are we to get to the truth when the very facts needed for assessment are
systematically hidden from sight?
Should the media be encouraged to scrutinize BP’s $50 million PR campaign
or allow that interest to control the debate without challenge?

It seems to me that many questions still remain unanswered.

Please keep this in mind when you ask us to simply accept, without inquiry,
the recent report that suggests that the oil spill’s impact has been somehow
contrived and exaggerated.

    Steve Mussman
    Sea Lab Diving