[Coral-List] Job Announcement - Science Director - Belize - Open to All Nationalities
nicolalouise.foster at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 16:46:25 EDT 2010
TIDE-Belize (Toledo Institute for Development and Environment) is seeking a
Science Director to be based in Punta Gorda, Belize. If you are interested
in applying for the position please reply to the email address in the
announcement below and not directly to me.
Nicola L. Foster, PhD
TIDE is seeking a Science Director to support the management of the science
and research program for the Port Honduras Marine Reserve and areas within
the Maya Mountain Marine Corridor, Southern Belize. We offer an attractive
salary and benefits package that is commensurate with training and
experience. The position is open to any nationality.
*Position: *Science Director
*Supervisor: *Program Manager
*Location*: Punta Gorda, Belize
You will guide and oversee TIDE’s science program, focusing on marine
biology and conservation, but with aspects of freshwater and terrestrial
biology. You will be responsible for the coordination of the scientific
program which includes: monitoring, research and management activities for
the Port Honduras Marine Reserve and the Maya Mountain Marine Corridor
(MMMC); oversee science staff (Junior Marine Biologist and Terrestrial and
Freshwater Biologist); develop budgets for the research and monitoring
program; lead science staff in the development of policy and programs for
monitoring and research; contribute to grant proposals when necessary; act
as the primary liaison with visiting researchers, scientific groups and
projects; work with other managers to ensure management is based on sound
scientific information; represent the organization at national and
international meetings and conferences. **
*Primary Duties and Responsibilities;*
- Implement, and expand, the existing monitoring and research program for
- Supervise data collection for the monitoring and research programs
(coral, reef fish, seagrass, mangroves, water quality, lobster and conch),
including supervision/coordination of junior science staff.
- Work with science staff to ensure proper data entry, data analysis and
- Work with other management staff to ensure monitoring and research data
- Publish scientific research in international peer-reviewed journals.
- Collaborate with visiting researchers to establish links between
research and management activities.
- Develop research projects for TIDE within the area of the MMMC.
- Responsible for scientific program logistics, budgeting, and staffing.
- Assist with grant development including proposal writing.
- Assist with community outreach through the development of presentations
and outreach materials.
- Coordinate with local, regional and international partners.
- Represent TIDE at national and international meetings, and on
committees and organizations that have mutual interests in conservation.
- Responsible for relevant project documentation and report writing.
- Any other duties that may be assigned from time to time.
*Professional Qualification Requirements:*
*Education and Experience*
- Masters degree in marine biology, marine ecology (or equivalent) and
3-5 years experience in natural resource management/conservation or
equivalent combination of education and experience (PhD desirable).
- Qualified and experienced SCUBA diver (minimum PADI Divemaster or
- Previous experience of research diving.
- Experience working with Caribbean ecosystems would be desirable.
- Knowledge of GIS and GPS use.
*Other job prerequisites*
- Leadership experience in overseeing a dynamic team.
- Strong oral and written communication skills including ability to speak
- Working knowledge of common software applications (e.g. Word, Excel,
Access, Web browsers). **
- Experience with statistical analysis of scientific data and preparation
of articles for publication in peer-reviewed journals.**
- Ability and willingness to apply science to decision-making and guide
- Supervisory experience, including ability to set objectives and manage
performance, and proven ability to effectively manage and motivate people.
- Experience in preparation of work plans and budgets.
- Proven ability to complete tasks independently with respect to
timeline(s) and to manage time and diverse activities under deadlines while
delivering quality results.
- Work and communicate effectively with a diverse group of people,
including scientists, staff, and stakeholders, government officials,
providing and obtaining needed information.
- Communication and presentation skills; ability to persuasively convey
the mission of TIDE to diverse groups including donors, guests, community
members and others.
- Write reports and use other communication tools to characterize the
science program operations and evaluate effectiveness of activities.
Please email your C.V. with cover letter, plus contact details for three
references, including one from most recent employer, by *5pm Monday 23rd
August 2010* to info at tidebelize.org. Please put “Science Director Position”
in the subject of the email. To learn more about TIDE visit our website at:
www.tidebelize.org <http://%C2%A0www.tidebelize.org/>. For questions or an
informal discussion about the position, please contact Nicola Foster at:
nfoster at tidebelize.org.
More information about the Coral-List