[Coral-List] A reflection on scientific inquiry

Ulf Erlingsson ceo at lindorm.com
Mon Dec 6 13:02:28 EST 2010

As a side track of the coral list debate on global warming as of
late, I decided to go to the bottom with an issue that had been on my
mind for years, relating to a previous great scientific debate,
namely that on continental drift. So I contacted prof em Gustaf
Arrhenius at SIO, one of the participants in the 1947 to 48 Swedish
Deep Sea Expedition, aka the Albatross expedition from the name of
the 4-masted ship with which they circumnavigated the globe and did a
number of things for the first time: Took piston cores from the ocean
floor, measured sediment thickness with seismic methods, measured the
heat flow through the ocean floor, etc. In spite of the
groundbreaking nature of this expedition, it is relatively unknown
and forgotten today. More at http://blog.erlingsson.com/?p=4112