[Coral-List] "non-reef" artificial structures

Shimrit Perkol-Finkel sperkol at gmail.com
Thu Oct 27 08:14:00 EDT 2011

Dear Danielle,

I have spent the past 10 years working on biological and ecological aspects
of artificial structures such as jetties, coastal defense structures and
seawalls. I chose to work on coastal and marine infrastructures as these
replace natural habitats throughout the world, especially with constant
increase in coastal development and increase of human population along the
coastlines.
My previous work in tropical environment included studies comparing coral
communities on jetties, ports,shipwrecks and other man-made structures to
those of adjacent natural habitats.

Here are some relevant publications (note that the term artificial reef is
sometimes used in the publication in relation to structures like jetties):

     Perkol-Finkel S. and Benayahu Y. (2004) Community structure of stony
and soft corals on vertical unplanned artificial reefs in Eilat (Red Sea):
comparison to natural reefs. Coral Reefs 23: 195-205.

     Perkol-Finkel S., Shashar N., Barnea O., Ben David-Zaslaw R., Oren U.,
Reichart T., Yacobovich T., Yahel G., Yahel R., Benayahu Y. (2005) Fouling
coral communities of artificial reefs: does age matter? Biofouling 21:
127–140.

     Perkol-Finkel S., Shashar N., Benayahu Y. (2006) Can artificial reefs
mimic natural reef communities? The roles of structural features and
age. Marin Environmental Research 61: 121-135.

    Perkol-Finkel S., Miloh T., Zilman G., Sella I., Benayahu Y. (2006)
Floating and fixed artificial reefs: the effect of substratum motion on
benthic communities. Marine Ecology Progress Series, 317: 9-20.

     Perkol-Finkel S. and Benayahu Y. (2007) Differential recruitment of
corals onto artificial and natural reefs. Journal of Experimental Marine
Biology and Ecology, 340: 25–39.

     Perkol-Finkel S., Miloh T., Zilman G., Sella I., Benayahu Y. (2008).
Floating and fixed artificial habitats: spatial and temporal patterns of
benthic communities in a coral reef environment. Estuarine, Coastal and
Shelf Science, 77: 491-500.

     Perkol-Finkel S. and Benayahu Y. (2009) Differential survivorship of
two coral species on artificial and natural reefs. Journal of Experimental
Marine Biology and Ecology, 369: 1–7.

You should also look into papers by Burt who worked on breakwaters in
tropical environments.

Sincerely,

Shimrit

--