[Coral-List] biodegradable fishing gear

Verena Wiesbauer Ali marinebiology.verena at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 23:17:07 EST 2013

Dear all,

I'm getting the opportunity to replace traditional handline fishing gear for hotel guests in the Maldives ("Sunset fishing" as an attraction - nothing commercial here) with biodegradable gear. Sunset fishing is a horrible thing for our coral reefs when monofilaments are left behind, sometime fish swimming around with hook & line, but - at least - I welcome the move of the management to use better products. it's a huge revenue-generating activity for resorts in the maldives, so cancelling it altogether isn't an option at this point of time.

Is anyone experienced in Bioline or biodegradable hooks? What is your opinion about it? i read that the biolines stay in the ecosystem for 5 years!

Thanks in advance,

Verena Wiesbauer Ali, MSc
Eco Islanders Maldives

Sent from my iPhone