[Coral-List] Parrotfish (and Urchin Introductions)

eugeneshinn eugeneshinn at mail.usf.edu
Fri Aug 8 13:43:36 EDT 2014

Dear, Martin and John, I did a large study of elements in surface
sediment  in Florida Bay some years ago. 250 samples from the entire
bay. Never published because  funding  was based on runoff from the
everglades...big sugar etc. The basic finding was that the central bay
where there is no tidal flow is where Fe, Hg, Au, Cu, phosphate, pb was
concentrated. These are all elements common to the 1 micron size
particles in African dust. Since all attention and frunds depended on
upstream sources I knew publication would be difficut. (there was no
evidence of an upstream source based on contours of concentration) It
now occurrs to me that the source of toxicants, possibly retarding
Diadema growth, (and all the other things that were dying in central Fla
bay at that time) might be dropping out of the sky It is a land-based
source you know). Hopefull I can get up enough nerve to submit the data
for publication some day. No,we did not examine the surface sediment for
microbes and endocrine disrupters. Clearly microbes were present. The
atmospheric dust is loaded with them. Gene