[Coral-List] Water Lilies and Coral Reefs

Raquel Peixoto raquelpeixoto at micro.ufrj.br
Thu Mar 9 15:05:06 EST 2017

Inspiring and timely parallel between us and Monet, Sarah! Thank you very
much.

I would like to take this opportunity to share our recent review: "Beneficial
Microorganisms for Corals (BMC): Proposed Mechanisms for Coral Health and
Resilience" where we do also make a parallel between corals and plants and
the widely and extensively used PGPRs (Plant Growth Promoting
Rhizobacteria). We propose the term BMC (Beneficial Microorganisms for
Corals) to define (specific) symbionts that promote coral health. This term
and concept are analogous to the term PGPR, which has been widely explored
and manipulated in the agricultural industry to promote plant health and
growth. Additionally, we propose and discuss the potential mechanisms of
the effects of BMC on corals, suggesting strategies for the use of this
knowledge to manipulate the microbiome, reversing dysbiosis to restore and
protect coral reefs. This may include the development and the use of BMC
consortia as environmental “probiotics” to improve coral resistance after
bleaching events and/or the use of BMC with other strategies such as
human-assisted acclimation/adaption to shifting environmental conditions.

Such manipulations are widely used, not only for plants, but also for
several other organisms, including humans (and probiotics) and we would
like to encourage people to foster such studies in corals as well. We have
ongoing mesocosms experiments (*Pocillopora damicornis* and *Mussismilia
hartti*i) with promising results, where our BMC native consortium
significantly protected *P. damicornis* against bleaching caused by *Vibrio
coralliilyticus* and/or increasing temperatures.

http://journal.frontiersin.org/article/10.3389/fmicb.2017.00341/full

Best regards

Raquel

Em qui, 9 de mar de 2017 às 13:26, Sarah Frias-Torres <