[Coral-List] BCM identification

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 6 15:37:02 UTC 2018

Dear listers,
Just returned from a location that I’ve been diving for decades where I noticed a type of algae that appears to be proliferating. I’ve seen it before, but only while shore diving (in the shallows). Now, it appears that the same algae has spread along the sloping reefs and walls. I asked around and the consensus seems to point to blue-green algae or cyanobacteria. After doing a bit of research online, I found an interesting paper on BCMs (benthic cyanobacterial mats) and so now I’m wondering if this is what’s at play. I have several images of this algae/bacteria on corals, sponges, hard bottom and possibly even on sea turtles. I would be happy to share these pictures off-list with anyone who might be able to help identify this phenomenon. Here is the link to the paper on BCMs that caught my attention.  https://www.nature.com/articles/srep08852.   I tried to contact the principle author, but to no avail. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Steve Mussman

Sent from EarthLink Mobile mail