[Coral-List] NOAA Papahānaumokuākea Marine Debris Removal Mission 2018

Tessa Code - NOAA Affiliate tessa.code at noaa.gov
Sat Sep 15 02:57:41 UTC 2018

Aloha Coral-listers,

There is an exciting mission beginning next week! Scientists and divers
from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) will be
leading a *marine debris removal *mission to the Northwestern Hawaiian
Islands, better known as Papahānaumokuākea Marine National Monument! Our
goal is to remove over 100,000 lbs of derelict fishing gear, plastics, and
other discarded items from the coral reef and shoreline environments around
these remote islands and atolls that threaten thousands of marine species.

Our team is currently on Oahu preparing for our mission and we are excited
to share it with all of you! Please follow along on our journey by checking
out our Story Map http://arcg.is/1WG5ee. The story map will be filled with
regular updates directly from the field showing our progress.  You can also
read more in-depth stories about our crew, the challenges we face and the
successes we have on our blog https://go.usa.gov/xPa5H.  Our scientists
will also have internet access throughout the mission, so you are
encouraged to interact directly with them by sending questions to
pifsc.info at noaa.gov.

We encourage you to share with colleagues, teachers and other interested
parties to help get the word out on the widespread issue of marine debris
and pollution of single use plastics. Thanks in advance! Hope to hear from
you.

Mahalo!