[Coral-List] [EXTERNAL] Effects of DEET on coral?

Ricardo J. Colón-Rivera ricardojcolon at gmail.com
Mon Apr 22 15:17:44 UTC 2019

DEET has a known negative impact, at least on dinoflagellates, and is
currently prohibited in Puerto Rico's coastal lagoons that are
bioluminescent

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/282873249_Acute_toxicity_assessment_of_NN-diethyl-m-toluamide_DEET_on_the_oxygen_flux_of_the_dinoflagellate_Gymnodinium_instriatum

On Mon, 22 Apr 2019 at 11:11, Bargar, Timothy via Coral-List <

> I cannot specifically answer your question about the affect of DEET.  Like
> many such chemicals, their affect on organisms of interest simply has not
> been evaluated.
>
> But, what is concerning about DEET is its pervasiveness in the environment,
> particularly in water samples.  We have conducted a lot of environmental
> sampling and DEET is one of those compounds that shows up most frequently.
>
> On Fri, Apr 19, 2019 at 11:04 AM Ioana V. Bazavan via Coral-List <
> coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov> wrote:
>
> > Hi Everyone,
> >
> > I was referred to this group by the Reef Check Foundation. I was looking
> > for some research on the effects of DEET on coral health. A cursory
> > Internet search yielded a study out of Florida that was more broadly
> about
> > the effects of pesticides on coral, but I couldn’t find anything
> > specifically about DEET.
> >
> > This conversation has come up in tropical tourist areas. Harmful
> sunscreen
> > ingredients are being highlighted, but what about bug sprays? In many of
> > those locations mosquitos and/or sand fleas are an issue, so likely as
> many
> > people wear bug spray (and often DEET over natural options) as wear
> > sunscreen. What’s that impact?
> >
> > Thank you in advance for any insights,
> >
> > Ioana
> >
> > Sent from my iPhone
>

> --
> Tim Bargar, Ph.D.
> Research Ecotoxicologist
> The USGS Wetland and Aquatic Research Center
> 7920 NW 71st Street
> Gainesville, Florida 32653
> T - (352) 264-3520
> F - (352) 378-4956

Ricardo J. Colón-Rivera, PhD
*Oficial de Manejo*
*Reservas Naturales del Corredor Ecológico del Noreste, Arrecifes de la
Cordillera y *
*Canal Luis Peña*
Departamento de Recursos Naturales y Ambientales
rcolon at drna.pr.gov
ricardojcolon at gmail.com
787-996-9334