[Coral-List] Color correction card

russell at BYOGUIDES russell at BYOGUIDES
Fri Feb 1 04:51:24 UTC 2019

Hello Adriana

When acquiring images for the Coral Finder we started out using a 15 x4 cm  Kodak style multi chip colour strip with scale. But after a while we realised it was starting to influence the exposure of the images - especially the close ups and mid shots.

So we shifted to the to a black / mid grey / white 5 x 1cm strip. Any post production software will let you set black and white points, white balance etc for colour correction. When shooting a coral ID sequence I shoot wide, mid  and closeup -  I then shoot an additional CU with the scale bar.  In post I can transfer the white balance and scale to the other images in the sequence as required for publishing  / teaching etc.

By separate email I will send you a PDF file to print  and laminate it (check for true scale!) then cut them out with a 3mm plastic overlap.

When I go diving I put one up the sleeve  of my wetsuit - it usually lasts the whole trip. And you don’t cry if you lose it.

Best

Russ

p.s. whenever I forget to us a scalebar I find shell fragements / halimdeda flakes in the images background work pretty well. What usually doesn’t work are the white dots from flash back scatter.

p.p.s. some corals can not be 'photographed’ -  dunno why - they just refuse to shoot in true colour - flash or otherwise

Russell Kelley
russell at byoguides.com <mailto:russell at byoguides.com>

Recipient 2017 Australian Coral Reef Society Medal for Science Advocacy

Manager: BYOGUIDES (Be Your Own Guide)
Author: Reef Finder <http://www.byoguides.com/reeffinder/> - the world’s first searchable underwater ID smart guide to reef life
Author: Indo Pacific Coral Finder <http://www.byoguides.com/coralfinder/> - the world’s first searchable ID smart guide to corals
Subscribe to Dr Flotjet’s Ocean Literacy Newsletter <http://www.byoguides.com/subscribe/>

www.byoguides.com <http://www.byoguides.com/>
www.russellkelley.info <http://www.russellkelley.info/>

Int. + 61 (0) 419 716730 mob.
P.O. Box 1859, Townsville, 4810, AUSTRALIA
ABN 66208215206
GMT + 10 hours
Email: russell at byoguides.com <mailto:russell at byoguides.com>
Skype: wireruss

Writer, project manager, television producer, science communication consultant.

Program Director
Coral Identification Capacity Building Program

Adjunct Senior Lecturer
College of Science and Engineering
James Cook University