[Coral-List] More sunscreen

Phillip Dustan phil.dustan at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 15:39:38 UTC 2019

Hey Everyone,
 This is a perfect example of  how  the coral community eats its young.
Terry got it started and then everyone jumps on the band wagon.
You should all rejoice in Craig's work as it is something POSITIVE that
 helps reduce local stress. Even if it is not 100% we should work from the
tenets  of the  Precautionary Principle and not  innocent until proven
guilty.
This group can get savage rather than helpful sometimes.
Maybe you should all take a step back and then GROW UP.

Phil

On Fri, Feb 8, 2019 at 10:31 AM Douglas Fenner via Coral-List <

> I wish to apologize.  When I first read Mike's first post on this subject,
> he addressed it to me and I reacted too strongly, my reply was more than
> necessary.  I reread his post the other day and it had no aspects of an
> attack in it.  I overreacted, and that turned the temperature up.  That's
> not a good thing to do.  I apologize.  We want to keep this discussion
> rational and based on the facts.
>     I did not get a blank message posted by you, Mike.  I'd like everybody
> to know that I highly respect Mike and his expertise, and I appreciate his
> posts, they always are good contributions.
> Cheers,  Doug
>
> On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 5:51 AM Risk, Michael <riskmj at mcmaster.ca> wrote:
>
> > Good day all.
> >
> > I am sure there are spirits that control our lives-I would like to be on
> > their side.
> >
> > A couple of days ago I posted a response to your sunscreen riposte. The
> > wonderful people at the -list flagged it, as they feared (quelle
> surprise)
> > it came close to breaching their code of conduct-something about
> profanity.
> > Nonetheless, after due deliberation, they passed it on-and I am now
> > informed a blank message has appeared from me. Please treat that as
> > generalised best wishes from me-fill in your own cheerful message.
> > Meanwhile, here is the original:
> >
> > Doug.
> >
> > You are correct, that post is far too long-especially as you could have
> > read the freakin paper in the length of time it took you to compose it. I
> > had expected better from you.
> >
> > You have dug into Downs' website and quote-mined from an article which
> was
> > clearly discussing local stresses. We scientists don't go by blog posts,
> we
> > go by the literature. To save you the trouble, here is a quote: "BP-3
> > contamination from beaches can travel over 0.6 km in distance from the
> > pollution source. The threat of BP-3 to corals and coral reefs from
> > swimmers and point and non-point sources of waste-water could thus be far
> > more extensive than just a few meters surrounding the swimming area."
> Sound
> > reasonable? And, if I can read that paper and understand it, so can you.
> >
> > This is a large field, with by now a voluminous literature. Those to whom
> > I have talked have always said, this is a local problem, one that may be
> > larger than we had thought-and it's easy to fix. What is wrong with
> that??
> > What is wrong with those who would challenge that?
> >
> > I am also disappointed that you managed to slide in the suggestion that
> > Craig's results were coloured by his finances. Doug, there are hundreds
> of
> > people working on this! If you are going to chuck around driveby's you
> will
> > be very busy. Yes, Craig supports his foundation on donations and
> [...]

Phillip Dustan PhD
Charleston SC  29424
843-953-8086 office
843-224-3321 (mobile)

"When we try to pick out anything by itself
we find that it is bound fast by a thousand invisible cords
that cannot be broken, to everything in the universe. "
*                                         John Muir 1869*

*Bali Coral Bleaching 2016 video*

*https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxOfLTnPSUo
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxOfLTnPSUo>*
TEDx Charleston on saving coral reefs