[Coral-List] Mineral Accretion/ Biorock (Dennis Hubbard)

Dennis Hubbard dennis.hubbard at oberlin.edu
Mon Jun 24 15:47:18 UTC 2019

Andrew:

Thanks for the update. The extent of my direct knowledge dates back to when
Wulf Hilburtz was a visiting researcher at West Indies Lab; he was
ultimately asked to not return for reasons I won't go into except to say
that, at about the same time, the the local CZM office asked for the
submerged chicken-wire structures and the cables going to them to be
removed (there was never any compliance and the problem was resolved by a
passing storm). Ironically (at least to those of us at WIL), CZM had
required that the small wind generator be replaces with solar panels due to
pelicans being injured by the blades when they tried to land. Eventually,
the birds got even by defecating all over the panels which were never
cleaned/maintained.

The Brucite diagnosis was based on analyses done by Lynton Land. I believe
that this was done at Tom Goreau's request, but the results were never made
public to my knowledge (the latter is my recollection and I am open to
someone correcting me - if the Brucite diagnosis and related stability
issues have been published, please give me a citation). On the
timing/current-intensity issue, can someone explain the
geochemical-intensity relationship that results in different mineral
polymorphs. Again from an aging memory of times long gone, I remember the
currents being weak enough that one could grab the bare wires and
structures deployed on St. Croix with no negative result. Some time later,
when we ultimately checked, there was no current going to the submerged
structures on the forereef. This led to some discussion of whether the
eventually significant carbonate coatings on the St. Croix forereef
(likewise, nice and rigid once the wiring was no longer maintained).

Perhaps, the deployment strategies used elsewhere were significantly
different from those on St. Croix. Having seen no publications and not
being able to discern and visible differences between "current" and
"no-current" structures on the web page I viewed awhile back, I just went
on to other things until this tread started. If you have any more specific
information on "Tom & Wolf’s 1980’s structures", could you perhaps pass on
the references?

Best,

Dennis