[Coral-List] Global Seagrass Bioblitz

Richard Unsworth richardunsworth at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 26 13:28:48 UTC 2019

Dear Coral List,

Join the Global Seagrass Bioblitz

        This July and August at Project Seagrass we’ll be running a global seagrass Bioblitz using SeagrassSpotter.org. The aim is to add to the OpenAccess data on the spatial distribution of seagrass and help document associated fauna and threats to the system. It's also a huge opportunity to help spread the word about the importance of seagrass. We can’t do this without passionate involvement from groups around the World, which is why I’m reaching out to you all to get your postdocs, students, research team and collaborating partners involved.

All it takes is to collect 5 pictures throughout an individual seagrass meadow (and their lat longs in decimal degrees), preferably using a 50cm x 50cm quadrat and submit them online at SeagrassSpotter.org. You can take photos using the phone app, or upload pictures direct to the website. If you’re into photography why not enter our associated contest to win prizes for:

The best seagrass scene

The best picture of a seagrass associated animal (in seagrass)

The best picture of any element of seagrass reproduction

We also have a prize for the group who documents the most meadows.

Please spread the word and help Project Seagrass communicate the global importance of seagrass.

(all photos and associated then become a global OpenAccess resource)

All the best

Rich

Dr RICHARD K.F. UNSWORTH FRSB

Founding Director

t. +44 (0)77 9531 1166

Project Seagrass, Sustainable Places Research Institute, 33 Park Place, Cardiff, CF10 3BA, UK

email<mailto:richard at projectseagrass.org> | website<http://www.projectseagrass.org/> | newsletter<http://eepurl.com/dniGU9> | blog<http://www.projectseagrass.org/apps/blog/> | facebook<https://www.facebook.com/ProjectSeagrass> | twitter<https://twitter.com/Projectseagrass>