[Coral-List] Coral Immunity Abstract Submission, ICRS 2020

Nikki Traylor-Knowles ntk1717 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 13:54:03 UTC 2019

Dear Coral Community,

Laura Mydlarz, Caroline Palmer and I are co-chairing a session on coral
immunity at ICRS 2020. We are currently seeking abstracts for this session.
We look forward to seeing you in Bremen!

Please see the information below to submit:

http://www.icrs2020.de/program/session-program/

THEME 10:  Organismal physiology, adaptation and acclimation

TITLE: Is immunity the missing link for understanding coral health and
conserving coral reefs?

ABSTRACT: Coral immunology is a relatively young yet expanding,
interdisciplinary research field that may hold the key to understanding and
promoting the health and survival of coral reefs. Coral immunity maintains
health, determines holobiont interactions and underlies susceptibility,
tolerance and resilience to all perturbations - from pathogens to
climate-change induced environmental shifts. Coral immunity drives patterns
at ecological scales, is an essential component of coral biology and is
therefore vital for effectively tackling the coral reef crisis. Coral
immunology encompasses a broad range of scientific disciplines ensuring
this session will appeal to many. We welcome studies across biological
scales, on topics such as  evolution, biochemistry, genomics, cell biology,
molecular biology and ecology. This unique session will highlight the
relevance and impact of coral immunology from gene to reef, and welcome
immunological topics including: allorecognition, mechanisms and physiology,
effectors and responses, ecological immunity, response to and effects of
climate change, symbiosis and holobiome interactions, pathogen interactions
and applications to coral reef conservation and restoration.
--
*Nikki Traylor-Knowles, Ph.D.*

Assistant Professor
Department of Marine Biology and Ecology
Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science
University of Miami
4600 Rickenbacker Causeway
Miami, FL 33149

Email: ntraylorknowles at rsmas.miami.edu