[Coral-List] UN SDG #1 Poverty and SDG #4 Quality Education

Nohora Galvis icri.colombia at gmail.com
Fri Jun 28 18:00:24 UTC 2019

Dear colleagues,

By reading the recent posts, I remember a practical class at Harvard
U. (Kennedy School of Government 1997) when we went to analyze the
presentations of some senators. The theme was about "rich and poor"
countries. Our misison was to ask challenging questions.
I asked why they were calling poor to the richer countries in
biodiversity and natural resources?  I awarded an positive
acknowledgement at the graduation ceremony for that...

This makes us think about what really matters and what is the value
the present generations are giving to life. Unsutainable developers
are rich in monetary values and may pay to some scientists to support
their activities that will make more poor the people that depend on
the natural resources and the whole living planet.

It is not a direct relationship between number of people with
destructive behaviors. For example, two kids of a conservationist in a
"developing country" may have less negative impact to the environment
that the only kid of a "developed country" unsustainable developer who
inherit an unsustainable developer enterprise that supports
megaprojects that will destroy forests and coral reefs in "developing
countries".

Some of us have been wondering about all these issues since 2000 when
I talked at the Bali ICRS about the need to evaluate coral reef
conservation effectiveness referring to the objetives of the
sustaianble development (measuring ecological, social and economic
criteria).

The  SDGs are a good framework to make a clear pathway to the feasible
solutions. Learn more about UN SDGs for instance SDG #1 End poverty in
all its forms everywhere and UN SDG #4 Ensure inclusive and equitable
quality education and promote lifelong learning opportunities for all
!!

--
Cordial saludo,

Nohora Galvis

Directora Observatorio Pro Arrecifes
Fundación ICRI Colombia
Coordinadora Red Internacional de Observadores Voluntarios del Arrecife

Facebook.com/ICRI.COLOMBIA
Twitter @ArrecifesCoral e @ICRIcolombia