[Coral-List] #SDG14 #CoralReefsOptimism #GlobalBehaviorChange #GlobalBehaviOURchange

Nohora Galvis icri.colombia at gmail.com
Mon May 13 21:29:02 UTC 2019

Dear Colleagues,

UN Sustainable Development Goals SDGs, specifically SDG14, are good
guiders of what we all should recommend. At the Foundation ICRI
Colombia, our efforts to implement the SDG 14 with our compromise with
UN #OceanAction14819 has been acknowledged by the UN Global Compact
in Colombia with PNUD and a network of enterprises.

When looking for solutions remember what Einstein said “Knowledge is
good but imagination is even better” I encourage the 9,934+
subscribers to focus in a positive message to improve coral reef
conservation while all of us lead by example to request urgent local
and global actions in order to reduce threats and negative impacts on
coral reefs.

Pessimism is abused by the unsustainable developers to confirm that
there is not point to keep protecting coral reefs if anyway they will
die in few years, so they can kill them now.

Extremist enthusiastic can also be abused by unsustainable developers…
who may think if there are so many “successful restoration programs”
there is not harm at all to kill the resilient coral reef that they
are obsessed  to destroy by dredging a channel or enlarge a port.

It will depend on us, to conform a coherent and ethic scientific and
conservationist network that convey strong arguments without ignoring
local reports and publications in the academia and public sector that
underline the ecological, social and economic values of coral reefs
and the need to prevent further ecological disasters and loss of
biodiversity in coral reef ecosystems.

--
Cordial saludo,

Nohora Galvis

Directora Observatorio Pro Arrecifes
Fundación ICRI Colombia
Coordinadora Red Internacional de Observadores Voluntarios del Arrecife

Facebook.com/ICRI.COLOMBIA
Twitter @ArrecifesCoral e @ICRIcolombia