[Coral-List] CO2 reduction: we can but will we?

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Tue May 28 21:15:52 UTC 2019

Good one!  I agree.  Add to that, a vegetable diet is healthier and may
help one to live longer and live better.  Plus it is less expensive.  Good
reasons to do it in addition to helping the planet.  It takes about 10
pounds of plant material fed to a farm animal to produce one pound of
meat.  We can feed only about 1/10th the number of people on the planet
with meat that we could feed with plants (grains, vegetables, etc).
Unfortunately, as some very large countries develop, those that can now
afford to are shifting to eat more meat.
     And with aviation only contributing 2-4% of greenhouse emissions, is
worrying about a few people (what percent of the world's population?) going
to one conference in 4 years going to make a difference in solving the
problem??

Cheers,  Doug

On Tue, May 14, 2019 at 1:30 AM Anne Sheppard via Coral-List <

> I am interested to see the discussions on Coral List about carbon
> offsetting airplane journeys.
>
> The single biggest production of greenhouse gas emission (and biodiversity
> loss) is animal agriculture, at over 25% of all GHG emissions, whereas
> aviation is just 2-4%.  If we are really interested in reducing your carbon
> footprint and saving coral reefs, then we must stop faffing around with
> band-aid solutions and become vegan, or at least vegetarian.
>
> I gave a lecture on this a while ago where two older reef conservationists
> were overheard agreeing that they could never give up meat!  However, there
> was a lot of interest and agreement from the younger people in the
> audience. Much change that is being achieved seems to be driven by the
> young, yet many call them entitled.  I would think that they might feel
> entitled to inherit a working planet.
>
> best wishes
>
> Anne Sheppard

Douglas Fenner
Ocean Associates, Inc. Contractor
NOAA Fisheries Service
Pacific Islands Regional Office
Honolulu
and:
Consultant
PO Box 7390
Pago Pago, American Samoa 96799  USA

New book "The Uninhabitable Earth"  First sentence: "It is much, much worse
than you think."
Read first (short) chapter open access:
https://www.pbs.org/newshour/arts/read-a-chapter-from-the-uninhabitable-earth-a-dire-warning-on-climate-change

Want a Green New Deal?  Here's a better one.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/want-a-green-new-deal-heres-a-better-one/2019/02/24/2d7e491c-36d2-11e9-af5b-b51b7ff322e9_story.html?utm_term=.a3fc8337cbf8

Nations falling short of emissions cuts set by Paris climate pact, analysis
finds
http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2018/11/nations-falling-short-emissions-cuts-set-paris-climate-pact-analysis-finds?utm_campaign=news_daily_2018-11-28&et_rid=17045989&et_cid=2515903