[Coral-List] ICRS 2020 Regional Meetings

Chelsie Counsell chelsiew12 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 20 09:55:00 UTC 2019

As coral reef scientists, we know enough about how CO2 emissions are
impacting coral reefs to take action, and one part of taking action is
shifting our lifestyles. Traveling less is part of that. To be
exceptionally clear, in proposing regional meetings, I am in no way
suggesting that anyone should consider driving from Hawaii to Germany.
Instead, I am advocating for a re-evaluation of our goals of research
symposiums, and encouraging creativity for new ways to operate as coral
reef scientists that have minimal contributions to global CO2 emissions. As
part of this, I am suggesting that we should be mindful of how often and
how far we travel.

The climate crisis demands that we design innovative approaches and
consider solutions with open minds. We all need to contribute, to do what
we can, and as Doug pointed out, to then look for ways to do even more.
Yes, some of the various needed lifestyle changes may be uncomfortable.
Regardless, given the chance that by doing everything we can, we just might
keep the climate crisis from completely destroying coral reefs, doing
everything we can seems worth it.

--
Chelsie Counsell, Ph.D.
Quantitative Community Ecologist