[Coral-List] More Info on Atoll Research Bulletin

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Tue Apr 21 00:02:39 UTC 2020

Thank you Marguerite!  I'd add that last I knew, Atoll Research Bulletin
was open-access and there was no charge for authors.  It is a real,
peer-reviewed journal. That makes it an attractive option.   Cheers, Doug

On Mon, Apr 20, 2020 at 2:46 AM Toscano, Marguerite via Coral-List <

> Hi Again Listers,
>
> My previous message about ARB submission procedures resulted in a few
> questions about where to find previous issues.
>
> The Smithsonian Libraries maintains an archive of ARB issues at
> https://repository.si.edu/handle/10088/4781 that go back to 1951 and up
> to 2013.
>
> Issues back to 1952 can be found via the Biodiversity Heritage Library at
> https://www.biodiversitylibrary.org/bibliography/50708#/summary  These
> are scans, not digitally-produced copies.
>
> Until recently the digital ARB (starting in 2013) was available on OpenSI,
> which has been phased out in favor of Figshare (
> https://smithsonian.figshare.com/ScholarlyPress).   According to the
> Director of SI Press, Ginger Minkiewicz, "Figshare is a discoverable
> platform that is already familiar to many in the scholarly community.
> Authors and readers can more easily engage with research products,
> including seeing number of downloads and views as well as social media
> activity via Altmetrics donuts on a publication’s landing page. Figshare
> also allows SISP to identify funders, automates assignment and minting of
> DOIs, and integrates with ORCID when an author has an ORCID iD."
>
> If you are looking for the most recent issues, check
> https://smithsonian.figshare.com/ScholarlyPress where you can see the ARB
> back to 2013, along with all other SI publications. If you need the
> historical archive, start with the SI Libraries site.
>
> At present there is no mechanism that would allow you to receive alerts of
> new issues. I can try to send messages to the list when there are new
> articles.
>
> Lastly, I sincerely thank all who have agreed to review papers in the
> past.  The single greatest challenge with maintaining this valuable
> publication is obtaining peer review, so if I send you a review request,
> please seriously consider it or suggest an alternate reviewer.  This
> publication provides a platform for monographs and research that may not
> fit standard journals but that needs to be published to provide unique
> information on well-known and remote areas, covering all topics.   I hope
> there is sufficient interest among the tropical science community to
> maintain this publication long into the future.
>
> Sincerely,
> Maggie Toscano
>

> Marguerite A. Toscano, PhD
> Quaternary Marine Geoscientist/Research Associate
> Editor, Atoll Research Bulletin
> Smithsonian Institution; SERC
> National Museum of Natural History, MRC 121
> P. O. Box 37012
> Washington, DC 20013-7012
> toscanom at si.edu<mailto:toscanom at si.edu>
> http://opensi.si.edu/index.php/smithsonian/catalog/series/ARB

Douglas Fenner
Lynker Technologies, LLC, Contractor
NOAA Fisheries Service
Pacific Islands Regional Office
Honolulu
and:
Consultant
PO Box 7390
Pago Pago, American Samoa 96799  USA

"mitigating climate change is the critical wedge to set coral reefs on a
recovery trajectory"  Duarte et al 2020 Rebuilding marine life Nature

"Already, more people die  <http://www.nws.noaa.gov/om/hazstats.shtml>from
heat-related causes in the U.S. than from all other extreme weather events."

https://www.npr.org/2018/07/09/624643780/phoenix-tries-to-reverse-its-silent-storm-of-heat-deaths

Even 50-year old climate models correctly predicted global warmng
https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2019/12/even-50-year-old-climate-models-correctly-predicted-global-warming?utm_campaign=news_weekly_2019-12-06&et_rid=17045989&et_cid=3113276

"Global warming is manifestly the foremost current threat to coral reefs,
and must be addressed by the global community if reefs as we know them will
have any chance to persist."  Williams et al, 2019, Frontiers in Marine
Science