[Coral-List] sunken vessels as artificial reefs (Douglas Fenner)

Jessica Carilli jcarilli at gmail.com
Mon Aug 31 03:45:01 UTC 2020

Hi Doug and all,
When Simon Donner and I surveyed reefs/collected core samples in South
Tarawa in 2010, we observed a lot of similarities to black reefs in the
Line Islands, including extensive corallimorph coverage at some sites. We
described this qualitative observation in our paper that came out last
year: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-019-40150-3
If the planets would align properly/the world could stop throwing up
roadblocks like pandemics, we might also soon get out a follow-up paper to
the Kelly et al. (2011) study, lead by Peter Gawne (MS student at UMass
Boston) and Randi Rotjan. Fingers crossed! His early results are so cool!
Cheers,
Jessica Carilli