[Coral-List] A Swim Through Time on Carysfort Reef; EFFORT TO ASSEMBLE A LIST OF REMAINING HEALTHY CARIBBEAN CORAL REEFS

Steve Gittings - NOAA Federal steve.gittings at noaa.gov
Fri Jul 31 18:56:39 UTC 2020

Good points Steven.  Maybe I shouldn't have read Collapse, but now I can't
shed the thought that at a local scale, history shows that human nature has
repeatedly doomed us to the overuse of natural resources and the collapse
of ecosystems.  Unfortunately, the effects of our self-interest have grown
to a global scale, but human nature persists.

I am with you that a lot of good people, including you, Phil, Jeremy, and
many others, tried very hard to call for change.  I don't think it fell on
deaf ears, but those same ears were also getting more attractive offers.

With all that, I still marvel at the ability of the ocean to respond to
improving conditions and changes in management.  I don't think we should
throw in the towel yet.

Steve

On Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 2:20 PM S Miller via Coral-List <

http://instagram.com/noaasanctuaries] <http://instagram.com/noaasanctuaries>