[Coral-List] OTEC around coral reefs

Kosmynin, Vladimir Vladimir.Kosmynin at FloridaDEP.gov
Wed Jun 24 13:20:44 UTC 2020

The thermocline in the tropical ocean, where the temperature changes from ~ +20oC to ~+5oC, is in between approximately 500 m and 1000 m. If one needs temperature below +20oC, have to take the water deeper than 500 m; pumping water from below 1000 m will bring very cold water ~+4oC.  There are local variations, indeed.

Vladimir Kosmynin

Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2020 09:20:39 -1100
From: Douglas Fenner <douglasfennertassi at gmail.com>
To: Melbourne Briscoe <mel at briscoe.com>
Cc: "Meesters, Erik" <erik.meesters at wur.nl>,
	"coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov" <coral-list at coral.aoml.noaa.gov>
Subject: Re: [Coral-List] OTEC around coral reefs

I bet if you go deep enough (likely 600 feet or more) it will be close to freezing.  That's true of most all of the world's oceans, so far as I know (with exceptions such as shallow continental seas such as the Arabian/Persian Gulf which has a maximum depth of around 295 feet).

Douglas Fenner
Lynker Technologies, LLC, Contractor
NOAA Fisheries Service
Pacific Islands Regional Office