[Coral-List] Please share widely - Survey on participation at field stations and marine labs

Danielle Becker dmbecker at eckerd.edu
Wed Apr 21 15:45:09 UTC 2021

Good morning/afternoon/evening,

Field stations and marine labs play a critical role in enabling
observations and experimental research to improve our understanding of
biological processes and to monitor changing ecosystems. Field-based
institutions are a unique resource that presents numerous opportunities for
the communication of scientific discovery into education, public
engagement, and policy.  They also pose unique challenges, including their
often-remote location, limited resources, and constrained communication.
Through our anonymous survey, we aim to identify factors that contribute to
positive and negative student experiences in order to create solutions that
increase retainment and promote equity at field-based institutions and
marine labs.

If you have ever worked or participated in research at a field station or
marine laboratory environment, please consider filling out this anonymous
survey

(https://sdsu.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_cMADVZzRgYhS0rb). The survey
will take 20-30 minutes to complete. Information collected from this study
will be kept confidential and no unique personal identifying information
will be collected. The survey will be open until May 1st, 2021.

Please consider distributing widely among students and STEM professionals
(both academic and non-academic).

If you have any questions or concerns about the research, you can contact
Dr. Amy May at armay at ship.edu or Victoria McDermott at
vmmmcdermott at alaska.edu.

Our survey has been approved by Shippensburg University under IRB number
2373 for the involvement of human subjects in our research.

SURVEY LINK: https://sdsu.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_cMADVZzRgYhS0rb

Thank you very much for your time. For those that have previously completed
this survey, we appreciate your responses and they have been recorded. We
also appreciate those that provided valued comments and suggestions for the
survey, we have implemented suggestions.

Dr. Amy May and Victoria McDermott

(Shippensburg University #IRB2373)