[Coral-List] Updates to ICRS Awards Criteria

Carly Randall C.Randall at aims.gov.au
Tue Dec 28 06:04:47 UTC 2021

Dear Coral-List Members,

On behalf of the ICRS Awards Committee, I would like to share with you recent changes that have been made to the ICRS Awards eligibility criteria. In light of the discussion on Coral-List, the Awards Committee convened to review the requirements and provide recommendations that were subsequently approved by a unanimous vote of the elected ICRS council and officers. These changes were the result of feedback from you, our community, about building equity and inclusion into our awards process.

The membership criteria have been revised to be more accessible and inclusive, both for applicants and for nominators. There is now also more flexibility explicit in the process for requesting exemptions for award criteria. The specific changes made to membership requirements are as follows:

  *   Early career Award - requires 2 of the last 5 years (reduced from 5 of the last 10)
  *   Mid-career Award - requires 3 of the last 5 years (reduced from 10 of the last 15)
  *   ICRS Fellowship - requires 4 of the last 5 years (changed from 10 of the last 15)
  *   Eminence Award - requires 3 of the last 5 years (reduced from 10 of the last 15)
  *   Conservation Award - remove membership requirement (reduced from current member status)
  *   Nominators for ICRS Fellows and the Darwin Medal must be current members. Membership is not required of other award nominators.
  *   The consideration of career breaks and exceptions for meeting award criteria can also apply to membership requirements.

Membership requirements remain for some society awards, however, as we also feel that it is important to recognize those who engage with, and contribute to, the society. Awards are also one of the benefits that comes with being a society member.

These changes have been reflected on the website and are applicable to this year's (2022) awards applications. Please consider nominating a deserving colleague for one of our many awards (due 15 Feb 2022). As always, please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

 Kind regards,

Carly Randall,

Chair, ICRS Awards Committee