[Coral-List] Anti-foulant paints

Angie abrathwaite at blue-finance.org
Tue Feb 9 09:35:42 UTC 2021

Hi All,

I’ve been approached by a young start up company that is trying to make shipping more efficient by using AI.

They’ve recommended more frequent cleaning of ship hulls, to reduce barnacle growth and ultimately fuel costs.

They’ve now been made aware that more regular hull cleaning, might have a negative impact on the marine environment, as the anti fouling paint is often chipped during the cleaning and flows away into the marine environment.

They’re trying to get more information on:
 (1) hull cleaning operations - is anti-fouling paint being chipped in the process really an issue for marine life?
(2) alternatives to regular, toxic, anti-foulant paint.

If there’s anyone on this list who can provide this information or point us in the right direction, pl contact me and I can put you in touch (and learn a bit about this topic myself). Thanks..

peace
angie

Angelique Brathwaite
Blue finance | Project Associate
Coral reef: Ecology, Management, Sustainable financing
Skype: seaeggz70 | email : ABrathwaite at blue-finance.org  | web: www.blue-finance.org | whatsapp: +33673276854