[Coral-List] AIMS Long Term Monitoring Annual GBR Status update

Douglas Fenner douglasfennertassi at gmail.com
Thu Jul 22 09:46:03 UTC 2021

      People, did you see the graphs in this report???  Amazing how the
northern GBR and southern both recovered.  Looks to me like, to paraphrase
Mark Twain, 'The death of the Great Barrier Reef (GBR) has been greatly
exaggerated.'  Note that the death HAS been exaggerated.  Past tense.  That
doesn't mean it isn't in mortal danger in the future.  It obviously is, and
the rest of the world's reefs are too.  But isn't this a direct
demonstration of amazing resilience??
      This doesn't change the fact that the GBR is sitting on death row,
along with the rest of the world's reefs, awaiting the grim reaper (global
warming) to throw the dice to see which reefs will be killed next.  But it
does mean that the GBR is putting up a darn good fight.  Let's help all the
reefs be strong enough to put up a good fight.  Take 10 minutes to enjoy
the moment and go back to our fight to save them with renewed determination
to beat this.
     Cheers, Doug

On Wed, Jul 21, 2021 at 12:32 AM Mike Emslie via Coral-List <