[Coral-List] Parachute Science and how we work/engage

Chris Perry chris.t.perry at gmail.com
Wed Jun 23 12:29:06 UTC 2021

Apologies if I have missed postings/discussions on this topic but this
recent paper on the impacts of, and actions to address, what has been
called parachute science has just come to my attention.

https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cub.2021.01.029

This short and thought-provoking piece in Current Biology should probably
be read by everyone.

There is a rapidly growing debate around this topic in the UK University
sector (at least across my discipline) and we have had some quite
challenging (and for me at times uncomfortable from a retrospective
viewpoint) discussions around this topic.

Anyway - it is worth a read and some thought.

Chris

*Professor Chris Perry*
Geography
University of Exeter
01392 723334
www.exeter.ac.uk
Room D431, Amory Building, Rennes Drive, University of Exeter, Exeter, EX4
4RJ