[Coral-List] moray eels can eat on land

KEVEN REED reedkc at comcast.net
Mon Jun 28 14:05:24 UTC 2021

Dear Doug & coral-listers,

Reminds me of the behavior I personally witnessed in Curacao:  the eels were in the same genus, Echidna, and sometimes came out of the ocean water.  I was dining with my wife on the porch of a local restaurant next to the tidepools, when the restaurant staff came by our table and dumped kitchen scraps onto the rocks below the rail.  At first we were taken aback but then realized the action was to put provide amusement for the restaurant's guest, as many Caribbean chain moray eels, Echidna catenata, emerged from the tidepools & rocks to ravenously dine in front of us diners near the seashore.

Keven Reed
mobile: 904-505-7277
Fleming Island, FL 32003
USA