[Coral-List] Yeah, another new paper

Risk, Michael riskmj at mcmaster.ca
Sat Mar 20 14:54:40 UTC 2021

   Listers may be interested in our new paper in Marine Pollution
   Bulletin, which may be accessed following

   [1]https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0025326X21001132?
   dgcid=coauthor

   [2]Cage aquaculture in the Persian Gulf: A cautionary tale for Iran and
   the world
   Around the world, coral reefs are in decline. Recent interest has
   focussed on the impacts of global warming/climate change, but the
   decline started lo...
   www.sciencedirect.com

   In this, my amazing Iranian co-authors created a hydrodynamic model of
   the Persian Gulf. We then estimated the amount of nutrient spill from
   the projected # of fish farms. Should all those farms be established as
   planned (and remember, we are talking here only of the Iranian side of
   the Gulf), we project that every coral in the Gulf would be extirpated
   in short order.

   We called this a "cautionary tale" for several reasons:

   -this is a bad part of the world to go messing about with trans-border
   insults;

   -the implications are broader than just this part of the world. My
   dependable (?) sources tell me that the RoR for net pens is 3-4 years,
   whereas the RoR of sustainable land-based fish farms is a year longer.

   In short: how long do we think we can get away with using the ocean as
   our toilet? Answer: as long as there is no penalty for so doing.