[Coral-List] New Paper: Resilient corals in the Phoenix Islands

Austin Bowden-Kerby abowdenkerby at gmail.com
Fri Sep 17 15:39:48 UTC 2021

PS to my last message:

Sorry, my last statement was not so kind, as the people most impacted and
paying the highest price for sea level rise and the death of coral reefs
live in these atoll nations, and they are among the least responsible for
the problem.  They deserve better.

Human societies- all life depends on maintaining a healthy planet, but
there are few immediate consequences for those nations and corporations
most responsible for creating and maintaining such a destructive system,
which now threatens all life on the planet. The people in power and the
rich, who could actually change things continue to benefit from the status
quo.

Climate justice requires a transformation of the global economy, of global
energy production, and of tax systems etc.  And I just don't see that
happening fast enough to make any difference to coral reefs and to the
atoll nations- the leading edge.  We are accelerating towards a dark chasm,
where the train and everything on it will be destroyed.  When do we pass
the point where we can not change direction, short of a total derailment?
Maybe we are already past that point?  People on the train celebrate the
fact that the rate of increase in acceleration is now slowing- but we
continue speeding, accelerating towards our demise, the brakes have not
been applied, the foot is only a bit lighter on the gas pedal.  The fact
that our tax dollars are still subsidizing offshore oil exploration says it
all- there are no set plans to change the system- the political system
responsible for change has obviously been bought by the fossil fuel
industry.  The surreal aspect is that the ultra rich billionaires, with
their immense wealth created by this system, are so distracted with their
own diversions of space travel, as if to evacuate a dying earth that they
helped suck dry.

Austin