[Coral-List] New Paper: Resilient corals in the Phoenix Islands

Risk, Michael riskmj at mcmaster.ca
Fri Sep 17 01:52:37 UTC 2021

   Interesting.

   In our El Nino/bleaching work, we found that deeper reef areas were hit
   harder, and were slower to recover:

   "In our study area, the high thermali nstabilityin the reef base
   resultedi n the highest coral mortalities around Isla del Canio during
   the 1982-83 El Nifino event (Guzman, 1986; pers. obs.). Al-thoughs
   hallow-watera reas mightb e af-fected by additional factors such as
   salinity (Swart and Coleman, 1980) and oxygen tension (Kinsey and
   Kinsey, 1967), it seems that the disturbance in the lagoons was not as
   great as in more open reef areas, because mortalityr ates were lowest
   in the lagoons. In general, the deeper reef areas were the most
   susceptible to coral mortality during the 1982-1983 El Nino event,
   because of thermal instability."

   This got a tad cut up during pasting, but one can always read the
   original: Carriquiry et al 1988, PALAIOS 3: 359-364.

   We found that a bit counterintuitive, but I guess it's the old
   exposure-response relationship.

   Mike

   On Sep 17, 2021, at 10:39 AM, Austin Bowden-Kerby via Coral-List