[Coral-List] Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution post-doctoral position available: coral reef ecology, coral physiology and/or coral genetics

Anne Cohen acohen at whoi.edu
Thu Sep 23 00:39:29 UTC 2021

Dear Colleagues,

The Cohen Lab at Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution (WHOI) is
searching for a */Postdoctoral Investigator/* to join our
multidisciplinary coral reef research team in a study of coral reef
resilience to climate change. This is a regular full-time, exempt
position, eligible for full benefits. The initial appointment is for 15
months with the possibility of an extension based on performance and
availability of funding.

The successful candidate will be a highly motivated recent PhD with
expertise in tropical, shallow water coral reef ecology, coral
physiology and/or coral genetics, have a strong publication record,
excellent communication skills, willingness to go to sea for extended
periods in remote places, extensive field experience and an AAUS
certification or equivalent at the time of hire.

Our research focuses on the biophysics of coral resilience to thermal
stress, merging expertise in observational physical oceanography, 3-D
high-resolution hydrodynamic modeling, coral reef ecology and coral
physiology (https://www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/showAward?AWD_ID=2049567)

Thus, applicants with an interest in oceanography and/or climate, a
willingness to think outside of the box, to interact across disciplines
and work collaboratively and generously are especially encouraged.  In
addition, the position provides an opportunity to join our NSF-funded
Convergence Accelerator, a new collaboration amongst academic
scientists, coral reef island NGO’s, industrial partners and
conservation organizations to build the first Coral Reef Digital Twin
(https://www.nsf.gov/awardsearch/showAward?AWD_ID=2137882).

Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution has a top-rated postdoctoral
program (www.whoi.edu/postdoctoral/
<https://www.whoi.edu/what-we-do/educate/postdoctoral/>) that supports a
dynamic postdoctoral community with formal mentoring and career guidance
programs. The Postdoctoral Investigator will have the opportunity to
participate in educational and outreach activities associated with the
project. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are encouraged to apply as
we strive to increase equity and inclusion in ocean science.

The position start date will be no later than April 1, 2022.Please apply
online via https://careers.whoi.edu/ <https://careers.whoi.edu/>, with a
cover letter, complete curriculum vitae, and three letters of
recommendation. Applications will be reviewed upon submission. Informal
inquiries may be made by email to Anne Cohen (acohen at whoi.edu
<mailto:acohen at whoi.edu>).

--
Anne L. Cohen PhD.