[Coral-List] FIELD OF GIANTS

Dennis Hubbard dennis.hubbard at oberlin.edu
Fri Sep 24 18:49:35 UTC 2021

Hi David:

I share your concerns. My biggest concern involves the upcoming generation
of reef scientists, many of whom appear to be discouraged from critically
searching the literature. I have been told on more than one occasion that
journals are increasingly demanding that only the most "up-to-date
citations'' be included. As a result, important historical context is
undervalued relative to claims like, "for the first time....". Leading
universities have increasingly allowed PhD candidates to bundle some number
of published papers in lieu of a formal dissertation. Unfortunately, these
future scientists will lack the appreciation of many older papers that set
the stage for modern research .As a result, too many "cutting-edge papers
seem to be reinventing the wheel. This is all too common in "flagship
journals" like *Science* and *Nature *that  severely limit citations
(something on the order of 10-12 last time I checked). These practices make
it easy to miss important historical context to the point that we may be
seeing papers on the origins of atolls that fail to cite folks like Darwin,
Daly and WM Davis.

Dennis

On Fri, Sep 24, 2021 at 8:41 AM David Blakeway via Coral-List <