[Coral-List] 2. Proposed Killing of Goliath Grouper (Sarah Frias-Torres)

Sarah Frias-Torres sfrias_torres at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 25 00:12:50 UTC 2021

Gene
there is no scientific support for killing Goliath Grouper
The diet goes beyond lobster.

>From Frias-Torres (2012)
"Non-human predators of spiny lobster are numerous and diverse, consisting of at least 26 different species, including invertebrates, elasmobranchs, teleost fish, reptiles and marine mammals (Mintz et al., 1994; DeLoach, 1999). If preying on spiny lobster is a justification for culling Goliath groupers then we would also need to cull a diverse and significant group of Florida's marine fauna"

Here is a blog post I wrote about it.
https://grouperluna.com/2017/08/04/scuba-divers-want-goliath-groupers-protected/

A blog post connecting diet of Goliath Grouper with stocks  of lobster and snapper
https://grouperluna.com/2012/10/12/guilt-free-goliath-groupers/

The paper I mention above
shorturl.at/iqLV0

Sarah Frias-Torres, Ph.D.