[Coral-List] Bleaching

Bruno, John jbruno at unc.edu
Mon Apr 11 10:08:40 UTC 2022

Just popping into this discussion about ocean warming and coral bleaching to point out that in Gene's response to Austin, he confused two issues. Austin expressed skepticism that humanity can cut our RATE of emissions in half by 2030 (which is roughly what's required to limit warming to 1.5C). Gene's point about the atmospheric CONCENTRATION of CO2 taking decades-centuries to drop back to pre-industrial levels (in the absence of intervention like CCS) is correct, but not relevant to Austin's point.

Once our emissions reach zero, warming will stop nearly immediately, even though the concentration of greenhouse gases will remain elevated. That's the good news. The challenge is obviously reducing net global emissions to zero.

Cheers,

JB