[Coral-List] Saving the Coral Reefs Integrity (Biodiversity in all taxas, Herbivory, food web)

International Coral Reefs Observatory icri.colombia at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 20:42:16 UTC 2022

Dear Colleagues,

Endangered species need the whole ecosystem (Coral Reefs Integrity) to
survive. Therefore, the right track to improve coral reef conservation
effectiveness would be to focus on avoiding local and global threats that
affect the whole ecosystem.

There is a dangerous trend of allowing coastal development in coral reefs,
that needs to be addressed. We all have the knowledge to stop further
destruction of ecosystems.  Alternatives for unsustainable development
should be pointed out clearly far away from coral reefs.

Let us be optimistic that all together, we can avoid having endangered
coral reefs. Remember, in the past ICRS 2016, when I stood up at the last
plenary to ask for a letter to the former President of Colombia to stop the
dredging of the Varadero Channel that would destroy the Varadero Reef. We
got a letter from the Former Director of the Society of Conservation
Biology to the former Colombia President that stopped the dredging plan.
Currently, Varadero still exists, although it is impacted by the large
ships passing by the previously enlarged Bocachica Channel (850 m long,
175m wide and 19,5m deep) that was supported by scientists in 2014, who
pessimistically thought that it was impossible to oppose dredging plans in
place since the 90s.

Most recent Observation of #VaraderoColombia Hope Spot

https://twitter.com/ArrecifesCoral/status/1493652831231950848/video/1

https://www.facebook.com/ICRI.COLOMBIA/videos/214242110857552/

https://www.instagram.com/p/CaAY_hMoBjc/

Cordial saludo,

Nohora Galvis
Directora
Observatorio Internacional de Arrecifes Coralinos
Fundación ICRI Colombia

Follow us on:
Facebook.com/ICRI.COLOMBIA
Twitter @ArrecifesCoral e @ICRIcolombia