[Coral-List] trends in monitoring data on reefs in Barbados, short popular piece

Henri Vallès hevals at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 12:40:25 UTC 2022

Hi Mike,

We have met on two occasions (Jamaica and Barbados), but I do not expect
you to remember (independently of our respective levels of senility).

We hope to be able to publish the data coming from this long-term
monitoring in the near future, so stay tuned. It is unfortunate that the
piece did not emphasize more the critical partnership between the local
University (UWI) and the government to pool resources to undertake this
work.

To be clear, no one in Barbados is claiming that the reefs are recovering,
but this is not to say that there are not some positive stories. I will
also seize this opportunity to make a correction of potential interest to
the coral-list readers: the acroporid species that is more obviously coming
back is *A. palmata*, rather than *A. cervicornis*.

You are always welcome to come here to see for yourself and, if you do, I
would be happy to come along.

The piece was not about coral restoration nor McGill University; it could
not be the case because I am not involved in any coral restoration efforts
and I work for UWI, not McGill. As Angie rightly (and very generously)
pointed out, the piece is about people working in science.

You are of course free to take this in any direction you want, but I also
think it is important not to lose sight of the original context.

Regards

Henri