[Coral-List] New volunteering position at coral reef restoration project in Diani, Kenya.

Peter Vodegel p.s.m.vodegel at outlook.com
Mon Oct 24 11:30:58 UTC 2022

Dear all,

At Reefo Divers Diani, we are looking for a graduated marine biologist with a special interest in corals to help out with our coral reef restoration pilot project<https://www.reefodiversdiani.org/about-the-pilot> in Diani Beach. Starting date is December 1st 2022 with a minimum stay of 3 months. Operating hours are from 8 am until 4 pm from Monday till Friday at our ReefoDivers dive base.
We are working closely together with REEFolution Foundation<https://reefolution.org/>. We train and educate local communities to restore and protect coral reefs. Our mission is to leave behind self-resilient community-based coral reef management in the long-run.
As the project is still in the start-up face there is a big variety in work and an entrepreneurial mindset is encouraged. Dive masters and/or instructors can additionally work at the non-profit conservation dive base. Where solely nature conservation dives are given. Its a volunteering position with a minimal allowance, but there are additional income possibilities possible for dive masters/instructors, which can cover your personal monthly expenses.
In the long run you are also expected to help lead, train and educate local Kenyan Reef Rangers.
Some background information:
In 2020 we, team of 3, started a coral reef restoration project in collaboration with REEFolution Foundation, Wageningen University and Swahili Beach Resort. Wageningen University offers knowledge in corals and coral reef restoration, REEFolution Foundation offers experience in coral reef restoration by local communities and Swahili Beach Resort offers some resources like a boat, captain and area for an education centre. The project is non-profit and independent of these entities and relies on donations and grants. To support the project, operation wise and financial wise, a conservation education dive base was founded with the sole purpose to support the project. No fun dives are given and only nature conservation dives/PADI specialties are taught. Profits flow directly into the project to keep the project up and running.
With the coming of the project and engaging with local stakeholders also new energy was ignited to finally start reënforcement of the Diani-Chale national marine reserve, backed-up by the local communities and stakeholders. Funding has become available for the reinforcement and changing the park from a paper MPA to real MPA is well on its way.
Hopefully this background information gives some impression of the diversity of the project and the volunteering job.

Job description

Marine biology

  *   Manage and maintain all marine biological aspects of the pilot project

  *   Nursing corals and outplanting corals on the degraded reef

  *   Conduct marine life surveys, data analysis and write reports

  *   Conduct marine life presentations and guest-oriented workshop activities

Pre-requisites

  *   BSc/MSc in Marine Biology/Environmental Science

  *   PADI Rescue Diver certification (or higher)

  *   PADI Coral Reef Restoration Diver Specialty<https://www.reefodiversdiani.org/coral-reef-restoration> certification ($225 at our location), so you know how to safely handle corals.

Ideal candidate

  *   Social, pro-active and passionate about marine conservation.

  *   PADI Divemaster* (or the intention of obtaining this level during the attachment)

  *   Well spoken & written English

  *   Pro-active, passionate and flexible

  *   Team leader

  *   Fundraiser

  *   Stakeholder engager

What do we offer

  *   Free scuba diving with ReefoDivers Diani

  *   An allowance of $250 per month (after the first month of training)

  *   Dinner size lunch at the beach bar is included on working days (Monday - Friday)

  *   Divemasters/instructors have the possibility to share in our dive course profits*

Personal expected expenses in Diani

  *   Accommodation ($150 - $250 per month)

  *   Local transport ($2 - $3 per day)

  *   Meals ($5 - $15 per day)

How to apply

  *   Write a motivation letter with regards to our job description via: diani at reefolution.org<mailto:diani at reefolution.org>

  *   Provide  your CV and a copy of your scuba diver certificate

  *   Application closing date: November 6th 2022

For more photos and information visit our website<http://www.reefodiversdiani.org/>

*Conservation dive courses are given, salary costs for the dive master/instructor are covered in these courses.

With kind regards,
Peter Vodegel