[Coral-List] A lesson for the coral sciences

Alina Szmant alina at cisme-instruments.com
Mon Sep 5 18:28:53 UTC 2022

Hello Andy:

I urge you to recognize the difference between a hypothesis and a theory. Too many people including many scientists conflate the two terms.  A hypothesis is a proposed idea of what is the cause for any observation that can be tested and either supported or refuted. A theory on the other hand is a mechanistic explanation for a natural phenomenon that has already been tested and data obtained to support it.  Of course,  new data can refute the findings of older data and a theory can be refuted and revised. Commonly people use the term theory (as in " I have a theory that the  xxx is better than the yyy" or "I have a theory that this is going to cause that") based on a hunch or preference but that does not raise whatever that person utters to be a real theory.  In science it is critical to be precise with our use of terminology so as to not muddy the waters with half baked ideas.

Dr. Alina M. Szmant,  CEO
CISME Instruments LLC