[Coral-List] do famous authors' names get better reviews? Also, critical comment publications

tomascik at novuscom.net tomascik at novuscom.net
Thu Sep 15 17:47:45 UTC 2022

Thanks for the links Doug. I tried to submit a rebuttal to a paper
published in the Journal of the Indian Society of Remote Sensing (a
Springer publication) and was told that their contract with Springer
does not allow them to publish rebuttals to papers they publish. The
paper in question documented a 35% reduction in the coral reef footprint
on St. Martin's Island, Bangladesh, as a result of uncontrolled tourism.
The problem with the paper is that there are no coral reefs present on
St. martin's Island. The authors have no clue what is a coral reef, and
what they described where changes in intertidal algal communities over
time. The danger of publishing papers with these types of serious errors
is that they provide wrong information to decision makers that will have
serious unintended consequences.
My e-mails to the journal's editorial board now go unanswered.

Cheers,
Tom