[Coral-List] Scientific Coral Communication / Reef Futures 2022 / Hurricane Ian

International Coral Reef Observatory icrobservatory at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 22:00:22 UTC 2022

Dear Colleagues,

It is important that the international coral reef meetings send a global
message to decision makers to improve coral reef conservation effectiveness

The Science-to-Policy Dialogue of the 15th International Coral Reef
concluded about the relevance of the transdisciplinary Sciences to identify
causes of coral reef degradation. I was planning to present three talks
about our transdisciplinary findings at Reef Futures 2022 and accept the
invitation to participate at the Coral Communication Workshop to build a
Community for Coral Reef Conservation Network. However, I was concerned
that the workshop will only focus on how to get funding for restoration
practitioners as other workshops were focused on using the tourism industry
to get funding for restoration, and not on how to improve coral reef
conservation effectiveness for a better healthy condition of coral reefs.
Then, I sent a written message to the organizers:

“The future of coral reefs depend on the message that we give to the public
and developers (see my presentation at CORAL REEF FUTURES 2018
https://youtu.be/6xKjG48zvEI )

It is relevant to AVOID THE MESSAGE: "It is ok to allow global and local
pollution and mega projects that destroy coral reefs, using some
restoration projects to justify unsustainable development.  Developers know
it is cheaper to fund a restoration project than to tackle the local and
global causes of coral reef degradation. Therefore, it may become a perverse
policy to highlight to invest only on coral restoration as it is cheaper
and not on the local and global threats related to unsustainable
development.  In order to have a successful health recovery of coral reefs
it is necessary to address coral reefs threats.

I am glad to know that sick corals with SCTLD and other fragmented coral
colonies  were still resilient enough to reproduce sexually in some
Carribbean areas. Hope all the participants are safe from Hurricane Ian
(Regional Threat),

All the best,

Nohora Galvis

International Coral Reef Observatory

Facebook.com/ICRObservatory

Spanish Twitter @ArrecifesCoral

English Twitter and Instagram ICR_Observatory