[Coral-List] Coral reefs under threat

Austin Bowden-Kerby abowdenkerby at gmail.com
Sat Aug 12 00:57:00 UTC 2023

Thanks Sebastian,

All of this is on top of anthropogenic global warming, as additive
effects.  The heat spike continues, and I wonder how the NOAA models will
be affected, as earlier this year parts of Fiji seemed to be under-warned,
as we had major bleaching at watch stage and death at condition one stage.
But perhaps that is within the normal limits of the predictive models?

Jason Box recently made an interesting Youtube video on the causal factors
of the global heat spike, that includes this report on anthropogenic
cooling due to pollution regulations on ships, but he includes other things
like increased solar radiance, brought about by the early appearance of
intense sunspot activity.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYdvn2pGyOw  The
five factors he discusses, plus the increased water vapor in the mesosphere
and stratosphere due to the Tonga volcano, all combine to create a net
heating effect- and this in turn appears to be slowing down ocean
overturning, as manifested by the record low Antarctic sea ice formation
and related to the disasters in Florida and perhaps Lahaina as well.

I just hope that all of this tragedy can become the final wakeup call!

Regards,

Austin

Austin Bowden-Kerby, PhD
Corals for Conservation
P.O. Box 4649 Samabula, Fiji Islands
Publication on C4C's coral-focused climate change adaptation strategies:
https://www.mdpi.com/2673-1924/4/1/2/pdf
Film on our "Reefs of Hope" coral restoration for climate change adaptation
strategies:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG0lqKciXAA
https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/emergency-response-to-massive-coral-bleaching/
<https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/emergency-response-to-massive-coral-bleaching/>

On Sat, Aug 12, 2023 at 1:45 AM Dr. Sebastian Ferse via Coral-List <