[Coral-List] Coral reefs under threat

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 14 15:53:41 UTC 2023

Hi Austin,

Speaking of wake up calls, it seems to me that the entire coral science community is at a crossroad.

How should coral scientists respond to the most recent developments along the Florida reef tract?

Do restoration advocates need to pause and reassess their goals as you suggest? Will major changes in strategy and/or methodology come about or is this latest bleaching event more likely to be perceived as a temporary setback (perhaps an anomaly) requiring nothing more than an added dose of perseverance?

Any number of events around the world (from the wildfires in Maui to ice fluctuations in Antarctica to the tragedy unfolding on what remains of Florida’s coral reefs) appear to be fulfilling the prophecies laid out long ago by climate change prognosticators.

Still, somehow, I get the feeling that it is not enough to turn the tide. To that end, there may be no percentage of coral (or sea ice or rainforest) losses that would be enough to convince societies to change their ways.

If we don’t head this (final) warning then I’m afraid that best we can do is to just hope that civilization gets it right the next time around.

Regards,

Steve Mussman

Sent from EarthLink Mobile mail