[Coral-List] Florida bleaching threatens coral; trying to save corals in nurseries

Risk, Michael riskmj at mcmaster.ca
Thu Aug 17 14:42:45 UTC 2023

   Hi Phil.

   Maybe it's just the old guys that really see the damage? But all the
   data remain out there...yes, it has been amusingly depressing to see
   all the folks running around with their hair on fire, trying to "save"
   reefs that went from >60% cover to 2%, 1960-2000.

   I recall writing a summary report for one of your agencies (NOAA?) in
   2000, on the monitoring programs in the Keys. My first salt-water dive
   was at Dry Rocks in 1961, and I was horrified by the results that were
   presented in 2000. (The best of which, it must be said, being from the
   FMRI program in which you were involved.)

   In my report, I characterized the situation as a "regional mass
   extinction." That comment was removed by the editors.

   When money and science fight, science usually loses-but often that's
   because we don't make enough noise. Or because some of us were bought
   or rented.

   Mike