[Coral-List] Florida bleaching threatens coral; trying to save corals in nurseries

International Coral Reef Observatory icrobservatory at gmail.com
Sat Aug 19 16:20:39 UTC 2023

Interesting to read that coral restoration promoters are now acknowledging
that " We can not fool ourselves
that planting a million corals will solve these problems". Millions of
dollars invested on that strategy failed and still the governments budgets
are guided by the beneficiaries of those projects into that direction of
procrastinating the real solutions to prevent further damage to the
remaining healthy and resilient coral reefs or coral colonies. Choosing to
continue with ONLY coral breaking projects will have a higher environmental
cost.

We understand the efforts from the academia and young researchers to run
further experiments to select the more fitted coral for evolution.
According to Siqueira et al 2022, recent widespread human-mediated
reductions in staghorn coral cover, may be disrupting the key
macroevolutionary processes that established modern coral reef ecosystems
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-022-30234-6#MOESM1
However, speaking of experiments and models, did untouched coral reefs
(without intervention of breaking coral colonies in the last 20 years), if
any in the Florida Keys, fare any better during hot peaks? or there were no
control sites in the Florida Keys?. We have two case studies where there
was coral bleaching in Panama close to the Colombian Hope Spot Capurgana
Coral Reef where there were no reports of coral bleaching within the
potential sanctuary. The difference is that there was no massive scaled up
restoration (Breaking coral colonies) program in the last one.

As the mission and the vision of the marine protected areas (Sanctuaries,
etc), local stressors should be controlled within the protected coral reefs
areas to be effectively protecting the marine ecosystems. Considering the
strategy of translocation of corals, Can the new concept of protection be
applied in vitro (aquariums) ? or this time the NOAA Fisheries implementing
the section 4 of The Endangered Species Act of 1973 will provide a
framework to conserve and protect endangered and threatened species and
their habitats IN SITU? Is necessary the effective  protection in the
designated
critical habitats for five threatened Caribbean coral species, Orbicella
annularis, O. faveolata, O. franksi, Dendrogyra cylindrus, and Mycetophyllia
ferox

Nohora Galvis
ICRS World Reef Award Winner
ICRO Transdisciplinary Researcher

*International Coral Reef ObservatoryFollow us on
Facebook.com/ICRObservatoryon Twitter / Instagram / YouTube
ICR_Observatory*