[Coral-List] Florida bleaching threatens coral; trying to save corals in nurseries

Austin Bowden-Kerby abowdenkerby at gmail.com
Mon Aug 21 20:21:53 UTC 2023

Excellent paper Steve,

An example of corporate interests edging their way into conservation is the
dominance of investment fund based projects. GFCR is investment based, and
while the approach may sound realistic and practical to many, it excludes
the many coral reef nations with poor investment potential, such as
Kiribati and Tuvalu.  The second strike against these nations with GFCR is
that they are ranked low by the 50 Reefs Initiative, which has been adopted
by GFCR as the basis for site selection, which in essence has abandoned
these most impacted frontline nations.  GFCR and investment based
approaches also bypass our community-based (LMMA) model, where indigenous
youth are reinforcing traditional tabu areas (MPAs) with
bleaching-resistant corals as an adaptation and coral conservation measure,
carrying out the work with high level of committment and without pay, based
on seeing the enhanced fisheries habtat which has resulted. While local
volunteerism is at its core, facilitating the work requires funding, which
has proven very difficult to access in the present investment-based
climate, so crowd funding has been our mainstay, and I have also become an
unpaid volunteer.  So in response to Luiz Rocha, who started a new thread,
it actually is a funding crisis for many of us, because we can not access
the funding required to implement our breakthroughs.  And now that the
world's best funded restoration work is severely impacted by mass bleaching
and is in danger of failure, will this further impact our prospects for
funding?

Related to this, UN level non-scientists and GFCR have now adopted the 50RI
model as the only widely recognized adaptation paradigm. However, coral
focused adaptation is clearly not part of that model. This is why I
proposed a coral focused paradigm in my recent paper, which I call "Reefs
of Hope"  https://www.mdpi.com/2673-1924/4/1/2/pdf   With GFCR, the initial
investors shyed away from funding any restoration components due to the
negativity and resistance towards restoration which continues in the wider
scientific community.  Now, with this major setback to restoration efforts
in Florida and the Caribbean, I doubt that there will be any change in
people's attitudes.

I have suggested to the authors of the 50RI paradigm that they re-work
their model, as in its present form it is outdated and is misleading the
high level decision makers. Much information has come in since the paper
was published in 2018.
https://conbio.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/conl.12587
Unfortunately the model missed the fact that both resistant and resilient
(pre-adapted and quick to recover) coral populations already exist,
particularly on expansive coral reef systems with wide shelves and
extensive shallow waters with strong thermal gradients which provide strong
selective pressures for adaptation. These special reef areas need special
attention. Neither does not consider the present ecological condition of
coral reefs, with chronic stressors such as population pressure,
overfishing, and water quality issues not considered and so some highly
altered reefs with poor prospects for the future are ranked highly.
Another oversight is that the model considers cyclones as 100% negative,
when cyclones are the primary cooling mechanism for over-heated waters, the
most important factor in downgrading NOAA bleaching forecasts.  A very
different set of conservation priorities for reefs will emerge if these
missing factors and others are included.

I am hoping that an increased clarity of purpose for coral reef restoration
scientists and practitioners will emerge from this crisis, with a
redirection of efforts away from numbers of corals outplanted and towards a
focus on rebooting natural recovery and sexual reproduction via outplanting
into nucleation patches, with a stronger focus on bleaching resistance and
climate change adaptation. Healthy coral reefs and less healthy reefs alike
must be assisted so that they can better survive into the future, until
such time as climate change is effectively addressed. Working to keep the
most vulnerable ecosystem on the planet from collapse in the face of
climate change is not going to be easy.  And there will be many losses. But
the front line nations and reefs shoud never be abandoned, as this is where
many vital lessons will be learned, as well as where communities are most
impacted.

Humanity is clearly at a crossroads.  We are entering the dark heart of the
greatest crisis we have ever faced. Climate change and so many deep
environmental and social problems are the harvest of a badly flawed and
exploitative global economic order, and transforming this order is vitally
important.  It is not only about carbon, it is about climate justice,
environmental justice, and social justice.  Our international monetary
system is based on fiat currencies whereby rich nations like the USA can
create vast amounts of wealth out of thin air, while other nations can only
survive by submitting to horrific environmental and social exploitation.
Here in Fiji, the woman cleaning ten rooms in a resort earns just $4,500.
per year, while those ten rooms will earn the foreign company who owns it
over one mllion USD!  The Fiji government has been forced to borrow
billions of dollars from China in order to stay afloat, and every loan is
attached to collateral, which has undermined the future prosperity of the
nation, as these loans can not be repaid, so we will lose our ports,
airports, and hydrodams etc. The poorer nations and peoples will never have
access to prosperity in the present model, and the pressures resulting from
this unjust order are undermining ecological, political, and social
stability, further impacting people's ability to survive.  The reality of
the newly created wealth amounts to the biggest transfer of wealth from the
poor to the rich in history, and so in that context, it amounts to
institutionalized theft by the rich nations, even though few see this
reality.  It is no wonder that unfairly advantaged nations face an ocean of
immigrants as multiple systems collapse, and it is bound to worsen.

How on earth can the unjust economic order which is behind so much
environmental destruction be transformed?   A universal currency would do
much to establish justice at social and ecological levels.  Presently the
system rewards short sellers and currency traders- those who do absolutely
nothing of value to the greater good, but who get the highest monetary
returns.  It is the equavalent of rewarding parasites with the greatest
share of resources, while those more essential to society like teachers,
farmers, and production workers, are under-paid.  And in the less developed
world, how can a nation prosper when the cream of the crop is constandtly
drained off to the rich nations, with all of our best doctors, nurses,
mechanics, etc moving to the developed world, where they can make ten times
the pay!

Solving the climate crisis is all about justice.  This is why we are
focusing on addressing the needs of the poor fishing communities- who
retain the power to set aside no-take areas and to work corals without any
obstaces. This is a reality far removed from the Florida situation, however
both your failures and victories will impact our eforts.

ONE PLANET, ONE PEOPLE, ONE ATMOSPHERE, ONE OCEAN

Sorry for rambling,

Austin

Austin Bowden-Kerby, PhD
Corals for Conservation
P.O. Box 4649 Samabula, Fiji Islands

https://www.corals4conservation.org
Publication on C4C's coral-focused climate change adaptation strategies:
Film on our "Reefs of Hope" coral restoration for climate change adaptation
strategies:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BG0lqKciXAA
https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/emergency-response-to-massive-coral-bleaching/
<https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/emergency-response-to-massive-coral-bleaching/>

Teitei Livelihoods Centre
Km 20 Sigatoka Valley Road, Fiji Islands
(679) 938-6437
http:/www.
<http://permacultureglobal.com/projects/1759-sustainable-environmental-livelihoods-farm-Fiji>
teiteifiji.org
http://permacultureglobal.com/projects/1759-sustainable-environmental-livelihoods-farm-Fiji
https://www.globalgiving.org/projects/happy-chickens-for-food-security-and-environment-1/

On Mon, Aug 21, 2023 at 1:51 AM Steve Mussman via Coral-List <