[Coral-List] Florida bleaching threatens coral; trying to save corals in nurseries

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 19 14:13:08 UTC 2023

“When money and science fight, science usually loses-but often that's

because we don't make enough noise. Or because some of us were bought

or rented”.

Hi Mike and all,

Isn’t that ultimately what all our discussions on this subject boil down to? We continuously chase our tails debating how best to save coral reefs all the while averting our attention from the discomfiting fact that there has been a long-standing disconnect, a dichotomy if you will, between our socioeconomic preferences, the way most of us have chosen to live our lives and the conservation of nature.

This paper, from ScienceDirect, spells it out more clearly. If you don’t have the time to read it all, drop down and read the conclusion, but the author raises the poignant question of whether or not nature can be adequately protected without first “actualising alternative social-ecological economic systems”.

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0006320722000817

Regards,

Steve