[Coral-List] Coral restoration trashing

Steve Mussman sealab at earthlink.net
Mon Aug 21 20:59:48 UTC 2023

Hi Luiz,

First, let me get off my high-horse (if I appear to be on one) and say that I get it - it appears that at the moment everyone is piling on, but this debate (on the virtues of coral restoration) has been ongoing for a number of years now. I believe that everyone involved, both critics and proponents, recognizes that there are many aspects of coral restoration that are worthy of praise and that there have been significant advances made to our general knowledge of corals through these laudable and expansive efforts. Having said that, there are other aspects of (some) coral restoration projects that need to be closely scrutinized and held to account especially considering recent developments. To that end, I’m afraid that I have to take issue with your opening statement that “Not a single one of them has ever said that the solution for the coral reef crysis is coral restoration. This is hyperbole created either by the media and the critics of coral restoration”. If you would like, I can provide specific evidence to the contrary, but rather than caste aspersions, let’s just say that some of the criticisms of (some) restoration projects are clearly justified. Being on the cutting edge of science is sometimes a precarious position to be in I would think, but still, scientific advocacy that blurs the line between a groundbreaking and useful tool and a solution is to my mind, borderline indefensible. I still assert that coral restoration WITHOUT a commensurate and balanced emphasis on the need to address climate change (and other applicable major stressors) can convey a misleading and ultimately, even a completely counterproductive message.

As for what it will take to bridge the political divide on climate change, I don’t know, but I do believe that it would help if every restoration project made it clear that addressing climate change has to be a priority and that without that, we have little hope of saving coral reefs. As you mentioned in closing, what we really must do is help to develop the political will to take on climate change. Perhaps, if all the coral restoration projects (and I’ll add the scuba diving industry here too because of their strong advocacy for coral restoration) get on board and do their part to make this unequivocally clear - we stand a better chance of eventually turning the tide.

Sincere regards,

Steve Mussman